Monday, September 14, 2009

Meta's Life

Meta was born in Newfoundland on July 13, 1919, the youngest of nine girls. Her Mother died when Meta was very young, but the sisters took good care of the baby of the family. Times were very tough and Meta grew very fond of potatoes and got used to hand-me-down clothes - boy would that change in the future!

In her twenties, Meta immigrated to the United States and became a citizen. Her cousin Bertie, who lived in Brooklyn, New York was very supportive and so was her sister Nora Wrixon. Meta met Johnny Olson at the Danish Club and in 1956 they married. Instantly, Meta became the mother of an 11 year old girl - Karen. The three had a happy life and in 1964 they moved to Hillside Lake, New York and made many more friends. Sadly, Johnny died suddenly in 1968.

Later in 1968, Meta moved to Walnut Creek, California to be close to her cousins Bertie and Loretta. With Bertie as the supporting and guiding light, Karen and Dell also moved to California and the three settled into an apartment together. Meta had always worked and tried different jobs. At one time she wanted to be an elevator operator “because they wore nice uniforms.” (Adult Meta was always dressed stylishly.) But for most of her working years, she was a switchboard operator. She found a job at J.C.Penney and worked there until her retirement.

In 1981 Meta met and married Bob Potempa. Throughout their 22 years of marriage the two were socially active and hosted many parties. With Bob an active member of St. Monica’s Catholic Church in Moraga, they made many friends and developed wonderful memories. Bob retired from the Printing business and Meta retired too, and they settled into an active retirement life - Bob golfing and Meta renewing her lifelong interest in knitting. Everybody got a scarf or hat for Christmas!

In 2004, Meta and Bob moved to Reno to be close to Karen. Sadly, Bob succumbed to Alzheimer's shortly after the move and Meta was widowed once again. She moved to Sky Peaks Retirement Home and made lot of new friends. Meta and Karen grew even closer after she moved to Reno. They did a lot of shopping at J. C. Penney’s and went to lunch. She would tell stories – many funny - and they would laugh to tears. Meta had many good memories but she grew melancholy for the good old days.

Meta was doing quite well until 2007 when she fell and broke a hip and had to move to an assisted living facility, The Seasons. She recovered strongly from the hip surgery, but in 2008 she fell and broke the other hip. This took a heavy toll, but again she recovered, and resumed her exercises and walking. Happily, we were able to share in the celebration of Meta’s 90th Birthday this past July. Unfortunately, she grew increasingly unsteady on her feet and fell again for a third time. This time she suffered a serious head injury and just didn’t have the strength to recover.

We wish to extend heartfelt condolences and expressions of support to all of Meta's family and friends - who we know miss her and are suffering the deep feeling of loss that the passing of a memorable person such as Meta leaves. She will be very much missed by her daughter Karen Benson and Karen’s family - husband Ralph and Daughter Kristina (Kriss) and Kriss’ husband, Arthur. Of the 9 sisters and her much beloved cousins Bertie Smith, Dell Oblacyznski and Loretta Beach, Meta was the last to pass away. Meta made arrangements with the Neptune Society for her remains, but a Mass at St. Monica’s in Moraga will be said on 11/15/2009 at 5:30.


Please add your own comments with Meta stories, anecdotes, memories. It's easy - honest! Just click here.

6 comments:

  1. I will always think of my grandma as not a typical little old "grannie". She was not the little old lady that baked cookies and pies for the grandkids - although she could do that too. She never seemed little and she never seemed old. She was stylish, always. I remember even as a kid, when you always dreaded a gift of clothing from the relatives for your birthday or Christmas, I actually looked forward to clothes from my grandma. She had such great taste and great fashion sense.

    Recently, a friend said to me "Those who live on in the hearts of those they leave behind never truly die." Grandma will always live on with me.

    --Granddaughter Kristina (Kriss)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going through Meta’s things and they trigger many memories. I found a gold charm that my Father gave to her—on the front it says “to a Lady of Distinction” and on the back he engraved “to my honey love CJO.” There are so many pictures, the old black and white ones are fun. I especially love the one of Meta, my Dad and I in Brooklyn. Meta is wearing an Easter hat with a scarf dramatically swirled around the hat and her neck. There are also many pictures of friends and relatives long gone - it feels very sad, the end of an era. Everyone holds a place in my heart and there are many memories too good to be ever forgotten.

    Meta always thought young, even in her late eighties; she would look around and say “everybody is so old.” In the later years, we had a role reversal in our relationship - I became the parent and she the child. I would say “use your walker” and she would make a face like a naughty child. Neither one of us had a sense of direction. Both being new to Reno, we would take off in the car, and more times than not get lost. She would point her finger in a direction and say “That’s the way”, even though she didn’t have a clue as to where we were.

    I will most certainly miss her. On the day she died, they had the Reno Hot Air Balloon Races. When we were driving to see her there were hundreds of brightly colored balloons in the sky - a fitting tribute to Meta in my mind. A final salute to a bright spot in our lives.
    Lovingly, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. John and Linnea have so many fond memories of Meta! She was a very special addition to our family gatherings. She always had a warm smile and was sincerely happy to see you. She was interested in everyone but never intrusive. Meta was a good sport no matter what silly game we played how crazy we got she always stayed calm and happy. It felt good just to spend time with her. It was a nice to see Meta find someone special when she and Bob got together and they were such a "cute" couple!
    Meta had such style and always looked good!! I remember when we visited her in Reno Karen and I went shopping with her and she found a really great hat for her red hats club-I would have never picked it but it really looked great on her.
    What I especially like about Meta was her honest straight forward approach to life. She didn't hesitate to express her opinion but always in the nicest way. You always knew where you stood with Meta and she was a really lot of fun.
    We will miss her and will keep her in our prayers especially on Nov 15 at 5:30 while mass is being celebrated. Aloha to her special family Karen, Ralph, Kriss and Arthur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will; always remember Aunt Meta and Uncle Bob with a ''SMILE''When they came to Canada and spent time with us , it was always ''VERY SPECIAL''we even managed to get them on the boat,we had such fun ....and they were always so interested in sharing our lives ,going to Walters busness,and Aunt Meta was so proud of Walter,it made him feel so good,,,they meet our chrildren and they in turn learned to love these two special people,they spent time with us at our home and I was so honoured to have them ..I have always had their picture in our home sence their first visit...then we were lucky enough to visit them in California and of course Aunt Meta made Walter corned beef and cabbage...it was with dinner talk that we found out that Walter and I shared Wedding Anniversarys with the two of them...October 24th...I though that was perty special...Walter has told the story of his trip to New York to his Aunt Metas' so many,many times...Even though we lived so far apart they were always close in heart ,,,We Loved You Dear Meta, and now, we wish you Peace and Rest with the ANGELS...!!!! DIANE AND WALTER [ PICCOTT ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met Meta when I was 13 years old, and we immediately had a special bond. She had a difficult childhood, and I guess you could say she related to my situation, and was inclined to try and protect me or at least let me know she was on my side. I was always very appreciative of her love and support. Meta had such a big heart and I learned many things from her. One thing I will always admire about Meta is her ability to forgive – no matter how cruel and ruthless, she just let it roll off her shoulder.

    Meta was also such a giving person, whether it was making a special gift, dinner, or just making time for you, she was always there to help – lazy was not a vocabulary word she knew.

    Meta certainly was “a Lady of Distinction” – she always took such pride in her appearance and truly was a fashion statement! Her home was always clean, warm and inviting.

    She had a unique laugh and, of course, her Newfie accent was her’s alone. We laughed in the later years as her hearing diminished and she would come out with some hilarious responses to what she thought we had asked her.

    I have lost many loved ones over the past few years, and Meta is one that closes the chapter of that life. Yes, Meta was a special person to me and to many others. I loved Meta and will miss her dearly. However, I will never forget her as she has a special place in my heart.

    My best to Karen and her family – Meta truly loved you so much and would often tell me how grateful she was to you, for without you she would have been lost – forever grateful – that’s our Meta – she was the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matchmaker, matchmaker,
    Make me a match,
    Find me a find,
    Catch me a catch
    Matchmaker, matchmaker
    Look through your book,
    And make me a perfect match.

    We all know the song: “Matchmaker, matchmaker, Make me a match …”
    The tune brings back wonderful memories of a story from 24 years ago.

    Meta was a matchmaker and she was a good one. In 1985 Meta met Ute Gottfried, a young widow, at St. Monica’s Catholic Church in Moraga. They were sitting together in Church while Bob was doing his job as an usher. Meta sensed a sadness in Ute. Meta thought of herself how happy she became after meeting Bob and their marriage only four years earlier. She felt Ute should meet someone and be happy again just like she was. It was not that easy to know of someone who could be that person. Meta asked another church member Peggy Reilly for help. I was a friend of Peggy. She knew through me that Bill Kelley, a family friend, had become a widower a year earlier. I had met Ute through a German connection a year before. Peggy felt that I should arrange for Ute and Bill to meet since I knew them both. Meta was so excited about the plan. We three ladies became matchmakers. Meta had the idea, Peggy was the middle person and I was the arranger.

    Ute and Bill met for the first time in our house in Moraga on August 18, 1985. It was a match made in Heaven. They were engaged six months later. Meta, Peggy and I gave Ute a Lingerie Bridal Shower. Meta has a special spot in my heart. She was the reason for all the happiness she created for Ute and Bill and their wedding on July 12, 1986 at St. Monica’s Catholic Church in Moraga. Meta and Bob were married for 22 years. Ute and Bill just celebrated their 23rd wedding anniversary.

    Ute sent me a message in September: “Another one of the instigators to bring Bill and me together has passed away. This really hit home. Meta was so long a part of our lives in Moraga. Meta had an interesting life and I am sure that made her the beautiful and interesting woman she was. She was fortunate to live until 90. Peggy was not that lucky.”

    My deepest sympathy to Karen and her family and may the sweet memories of Meta live on in our hearts forever.

    A happy partner in 1985,
    Ingrid Wood

    ReplyDelete